Love is everything it's cracked up to be...it really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for...

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Big Daddy...

Let's see... We had an incredible rain storm last night...remember the flood of 1996 anyone??? I am completely amazed that we woke up this morning to just damp ground...the amount of rain that came down was insane...and the roof in the room I sleep in is tin, so the sound was insane as well...and the Haitians, out in their temporary shelters...I can't even imagine how their night went.

Clinic was a bit slow today because of the rains...it sprinkled a bit throughout the day, but not much...I saw about 10 patients for counseling...one young teenage boy I saw yesterday came back today...he wanted to let me know that he did the breathing exercises I taught him, and played soccer like we talked about to release some of his anger...he said he had a better night's sleep and feels better today than he has in a long time...all from a teenage boy...guess I really am making a difference! Another woman shared her story of losing one of her twin daughters in the quake...she has had 9 children, only one boy. 4 children had died before the earthquake...there were 3 sets of twins among her children. The twin of the 13 yr old daughter she lost had just left the house to get water when the quake happened... Another woman lost her cement home in the earthquake, and her temporary wood home burned down 4 nights ago...when it rains, it pours... And yet they all stay so darn positive...

We did a little shopping tonight for things to take home from Haiti...and then a little grocery shopping for tacos...we are cooking dinner for the staff tomorrow night...

Tonight we found some DVDs and watched Big Daddy...I had forgotten how much I love that movie!!!

I can honestly say that, as much as I love being here and hearing the stories from all the people we meet, I am ready to come home, and release all that I have built up inside me... We drive around the town and I am almost not reacting to what I see anymore...not because it is not an awesome amount of devastation, but because I don't think I can process any more... My heart is with the people of Haiti always...

No comments: