Love is everything it's cracked up to be...it really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for...

Monday, October 25, 2010

Coconut Milk *Ice Cream*

I am always searching for a delicious alternative to ice cream, being lactose intolerant and all. I won't lie, I still eat it. And it is good. Really good. But it doesn't make me feel so good. FroYo is a great alternative, tastes great and feels better. But I still haven't been completely satisfied.

Today I decided to try coconut milk *ice cream*. Yeah, in the store they call it something like "frozen non-dairy dessert." Doesn't sound so appetizing. But this, THIS is delicious!!! Here's what I did:

32 oz Coconut Milk (I used the SO delicious sweetened variety)
1/2 cup Agave Nectar (trying to be better about this)
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla

Mix together, add to ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturers instructions. (mine takes about 30 minutes).

In the mean time, I placed a 10 oz bag of frozen (thawing) blackberries and 2 Tbs agave nectar in a bowl to sit while the *ice cream* churned. During the last 5 minutes, I poured this into the bowl, let it mix up a bit. and then gave it one final stir with a spatula before placing it in a freezer safe container to get completely solid.

***Awesome flavor!!! More icy than creamy, but I actually prefer this. I think I will mash up the berries a bit more before letting them sit next time. Based on my measurements and calculations, this is about 85 calories per 1/2 cup and about 1.67 grams of fat. Take that Ben and Jerry!!!***

No comments: