Love is everything it's cracked up to be...it really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for...

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Man these bugs are big!

Hmmm...ok, the food is getting a little old...we do have new things every now and then, but when it is the same every night...I've been eating almonds, trail mix, protein bars...I am by no means starving...

We only had 30 patients in clinic today...I got to spend some time with a couple of patients, hearing their stories...One woman spoke perfect English...she told me of her husband's brother dying...he was burried in the rubble of his house...after they got him out, they buried him in the back yard...she is feeling frustrated that her husband won't go to the grave and see him...that he is depressed and at home...that he won't come and talk to me at clinic...she wanted to take me to her house so I could talk to him...I assured her that he was acting completely normal in his grief...that everyone processes grief in different ways...She said she would come back next weekend and talk more.

I also met a woman named Mary. She was waiting for another gentleman who lives on the lower property. She is learning English...so we talked for a while...she shared how she is living on the streets and that she has no food to eat, but she knows everyone is in the same boat. She gave me her phone number to call her sometime...how sweet...

It has been a pretty mellow afternoon...I have a bit of a chloroquine hangover (malaria meds)...
Marie, Esayi and I played dominos this afternoon on the front porch...we should have gone oout there sooner...the breeze helped keep the people eating mosquitos away...my legs will never look the same...

We are praying for the people in Chile tonight...an 8.8 earthquake hit...and also for all the people in a tsunami watch now...

1 comment:

Teena-Mom said...

You are such a good listener, my wonderful daughter! You are doing so much good...Take care, I miss you so..