Love is everything it's cracked up to be...it really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for...

Friday, February 26, 2010

A little bit of everything...

Hmmm...the stomach yuck is running around like crazy...I don't really have any of the symptoms, but my tummy is a little off...could be my normal junk...who knows, makes me nervous though... a couple of the guys ate street vendor food and immediately came home and started the cipro antibiotic for travelers diarrhea...sounds like a good trade to me, I would LOVE to try some street food for a real taste of Haiti...

We have had some form of pasta for the last few nights...good, but cheeesy and buttery...the piklis have been REALLY spicy...clears the nose! Breakfast was cold cereal this morning...I ate mine without milk...cuz the milk is warm...like fresh from the goat! Ewwww.....

Clinic slowed down a bit today...saw a 15 day old beautiful baby girl...lots of toddlers who were dehydrated, had to give rehydration salts...lots of worms and malaria...I have made plans with about 20 patients so far to come back next week for some group and individual therapy...the stories are heartbreaking...I know it will be hard for me to stay neutral...and I think that will be ok...just talking with them the short while I did today lifted their spirits, knowing someone cares and wants to hear their stories...one man told me he lost 6 of his close family members and his home...he hadn't eaten in days...wow....

One of the boys from the shanty town split the bottom of his big toe open after clinic today...I did a little wound care and bandaged him up...His name is Watson...he is a little lost some days...he likes for someone to just sit with him and hold his hand...Maybe about 12 years old...

And there is a little girl named Tati who plays with the boys...she is rough and tough...and then she wails....she is about 5 or so and beautiful!!!!!

I have prepacked more meds...we are running out of baggies...will go to the store tomorrow and see if we can find more...and more bug spray while I am at it...these damn mosquitos!!! I have been using 100% deet and they still bite!!! My legs will never look the same!

Ewald and a couple American translators showed up today...they are the last of the group to arrive...people will slowly leave for home starting Sunday...

We are out of water at the moment...3500 gallons of water gone in about a week...we can't quite figure out where it has gone...hope to get more tomorrow...

Working again tomorrow...then a day off on Sunday...we will tour the city and do a little shopping to stimulate the economy...the street shopping is wonderful in Petionville...

Another hour or so of listening to Matt play his guitar...Mesia's (house staff) son Esayi dancing with us...and I will be off to read some and get some sleep...

Love to you all back home in the states!

1 comment:

Jen McManus said...

So glad that you get to bless those people and that country the way you are! Thanks for the updates.