I combined a few recipes to come up with this one. I needed it to be GF, wanted it to be from scratch, and still be fairly easy. I like how it turned out!
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cubed
1 cup sliced/diced carrots
1/2 cup frozen green beans
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1/3 cup all-purpose flour (I used GF of course!)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
For the top crust:
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (GF) + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (or use 1 cup bisquick mix)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, beans, and corn. Add water to cover and boil for 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
- In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in garlic, flour, salt, and pepper. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the chicken mixture in an 8x8 glass dish. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Stir to combine.
- Mix milk, egg and flour/baking powder. Pour over chicken mixture. Bake 30 minutes or until golden.
***So good! I made this for lunch on my day off, because hubby doesn't like Chicken Pot Pie. Pretty sure it is the only thing he really doesn't like. So I'll deal. Besides, that means more for me, right???***